Monday, October 9, 2017

Diaversery


October 9, 2005. My diaversery. 

12 years of finger pokes.


3 insulin pumps.


1 continuous glucose monitor.



Uncountable amounts of juice boxes drank, fruit snacks eaten, visits to the doctor, shots given, nights spent awake, nerves hit as I replace my pump or monitor, and frustration.



12 years ago I had no idea that a person could be so thankful for juice boxes and fruit snacks or good, deep pockets on my clothes. I had no idea the amount of frustration and pain that this diagnosis would bring. I also had no idea how many amazing people I would meet with the same disease. People that would inspire me, and encourage me to keep going press on. It isn't what I thought my life would look like, and I would not have picked it, but it has helped to shape me into who I am today, and, above all, I know that God loves me and has amazing plans for my life. Who am I to second guess him? 

So, here's to another diabetic year. Another year that I have been blessed to be alive without any complications. Another year with my wonderful family by my side supporting me. Thank you all. I couldn't do it without you!




8 comments:

  1. I truly am sorry for your diagnosis and all that you have been through. Thankful that you have love and support and prayers from your family and friends....I have been praying for you also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless your heart. As an old nurse, I understand so much about your disease and how frustrating it can be. I am thankful you are diligent in caring for yourself and that you are a healthy and happy young woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well now you've done it! You know I'm crying over here. :(
    I wouldn't say it's a happy anniversary, but then again it is. It used to be that no one would live long after this diagnosis. And then they would live but the treatment was sooo hard. It's not easy now, but I am thankful for all the strides in treatment. I'm thankful you are doing well with good A1c's. I'm thankful for Andrew who takes such good care of you. I'm thankful for YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ditto to your Mom's words....and your poor fingers! ouch

    ReplyDelete
  5. 12 years- wow! You have handled those 12 years with such grace- love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I will never leave you or forsake you"
    God
    Proud of how you've handled it all sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doesn't feel like something I want to celebrate in one way, but in another way it's an amazing thing to celebrate! You've come a long way in 12 years and handle it all amazingly!! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Heather, I checked in with your Mom to see how you are doing. She says you are really busy right now. Want to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. I have a special art discount offer on my blog if you get a chance to visit.

    ReplyDelete