Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Springfield, stop 1, part 1


Most of you know that I love history. My favorite time period is, by far, the civil war era. There is something about the fashion, architecture, and people that I just can't get enough of. So, naturally, my list of places I want to visit is full of civil war related locations, including many, many battlefields. Near the top of the list was Springfield, Illinois. I have always wanted to see my favorite president's tomb and house. After my parents stopped there last year, I knew we needed to go this year. So, we ventured a little farther than our normal Chicago vacation spot.

The first stop was to Abraham and Mary Todd Lincoln's house. This was the only home that he ever owned. All four of their kids were born here and one of them died here. The national park service runs it and has a four block area set up how it would have looked when they lived there in the mid 1800's.

This is their house. It was much smaller when they bought it. They added the second story and did a couple other smaller improvements.



The formal parlor. Everything in this room is the Lincoln's except one of the chairs.



This is the families sitting room. Those chairs really are as small as they look. We were told that Lincoln prefered to stretch out on the floor in front of the fireplace and read or play with his boys.


Going upstairs, you have a guest room, 


his oldest son, Robert's room, 


and the hired girl's room.


This is Lincoln's room and bed. That wallpaper is much crazier looking in person, than this picture shows. I would go crazy if I had to wake up to that every day!


His shaving table, 


and mirror.


This is Mary's room. The two rooms were connected with a doorway. She slept here with the younger boys. They were in a trundle bed next to her. 


Heading back downstairs you find the kitchen.


Mary loved this stove so much that she insisted on taking it with her when they moved to the white house. 


Heading out the back door you find this small building. Yes, you guessed it. It's the outhouse, complete with three seats. I guess it was a family event!



Tomorrow we will explore a bit of the neighborhood!

2 comments:

  1. I loved our visit here and really enjoyed seeing it again in your pics. Yes, that wallpaper was crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that is so amazing! So cool to see inside their lives a litte. I can't even picture Lincoln laying on the floor though, seems so interesting to picture him as a Dad playing with his kids because we always just picture him standing or sitting so tall and doing presidential things.

    ReplyDelete